The Peas and me

This is about me and my twins - "the Peas" - and what we get up to.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Windygoul...and a quandary


Having been turned down for Ormiston primary school on account of class sizes, the Peas will be starting school at the new Tranent primary, Windygoul (pronounced, strangely, "windygowl") in August. I'm somewhat relieved that my placing request was turned down, because I now see the benefits in Finn and Joe attending a local school. For starters, no taxi service necessary between Tranent and Ormiston! And they had been complaining lately about going to the childminder; now, instead, they'll be going to the breakfast club and after-school club at the new school, pictured here.
The other issue that has arisen, though, is Marcus's desire to take the Peas to Bulgaria for a year, where they'd attend an international school. The issue is fraught with difficulties for me. While I agree that it would be great for their personal development to become fluent in another language, I would argue that that's possible without taking the drastic step of uprooting them from their life and schooling in Scotland for a year, for example by using the BBC's renowned language learning programme for kids, Muzzy. The other major issue - which M would say is not central to the best interests of the Peas - is that I don't want to be separated from them for a year, even if M does as he's promised and pays for me to make regular trips to see them.
Another option is for me to go over there for a year too, and although that has its attractions, the implications for my job/mortgage/income/interests here in Scotland, and, ultimately, my sanity, are too much for me to take on board at the moment. M says the power to say yea or nay lies in my hands, but I object to that somewhat emotive language and suspect that, whatever I decide, there will be negative repercussions of some sort. He agrees with me that his plan fits in neatly with what he wants to do, which is to live in BG for a year and oversee the early stages of his B&B business. I now need to separate my fears for my own wellbeing from my fears for the wellbeing of the Peas. Not an easy task, especially given that the two are probably more interrelated than M would think.


1 Comments:

Blogger LottieP said...

From a completely selfish point of view, I think it's a terrible idea for them to move to Bulgaria. It means I'd get to see them even less often than I do now.

Perhaps my reaction to the idea is coloured by that, but I think you both need to look at this objectively from the Peas' point of view: what would be the benefit of taking them away from everything that's familiar, and possibly risking their becoming rootless and unhappy?

Our own experience as kids, of moving from school to school and to a certain extent feeling the impact of instability and insecurity, wasn't a particularly happy one.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home